Retouching an old print of a landscape

Yesterday, Monday, I was able to get a few hours of work done in the closed office.
I make the weekly newsletter, so that's what I did.
I didn't go to the beach Monday, because the beaches got so crowded on the weekend, the governor complained about people not keeping a distance.

Today, Tuesday, I slept in and worked on repainting this old landscape print.

I could have removed it from the frame, but that would require removing a lot of staples.
I put masking tape over the frame instead.

I was curious about the artist, Robert Wood, so I looked him up.
I also wanted to see what the painting was supposed to look like!

I discovered he was an important landscape painter in the 40's.

He was known for painting Texas farmhouses with bluebell flowers all around.

I couldn't find the exact painting online, but I looked at these samples to get an idea.

I wasn't concerned about ruining the print, even if it was rare, because it was in bad shape.

I thought I might learn something by copying his work.
I used acrylic paint for this project.
I used cheap craft paint and also better paints from a tube.

I used a lot of "glazing medium."
The sky was pretty plain, so I started by creating a sky.

I had some pretty clouds outside to inspire me.
I was doing this out in the patio, sitting on the floor.
Next time I'm going to find my easel, because after about 3 hours, I was pretty stiff!

This is how far I got:

Eventually I had to stop when the light outside began to fade just a little.
I'm really happy with how bright and vibrant it is becoming!
The sky is a little too bright, though.

Tomorrow I'll focus on the rest of the grass and especially the flowers.

Comments

  1. Really cool Julie, I like the way you show the steps. Looking forward to the next blog. Maybe you could show the original and restoration side by side?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts