Renovating a table top with faux tiles from Daiso



This week, I went to the Daiso dollar store near me.

Lately the stores had seemed kinda bare.

Apparently they get stuff in shipments.

I was happy to see the stores were all well stocked and thriving.







One thing I got was a dollar outfit for the old creepy doll:



Old outfit:























New outfit:






























Another thing I saw at Daiso were big stickers that looked like tile:









































There were 2 other designs at the store but these looked the most realistic.


I went around the house, to see what I could do with them.




The package suggested a kitchen back-splash, but I wasn't about to put them on the nicely newly painted walls.


Unfortunately they were awkwardly bigger than the shower tiles.


( If I could afford it, I would re-do the shower area with real tiles like this.)







There is this cheap table in the bathroom, that goes over the toilet to make a shelf:


















It has already been painted once and it has a very uneven texture, especially on top.


I knew I couldn't hurt it by putting the tile stickers on it.


(I'm not showing the table where it goes over the toilet because the toilet isn't pretty!)







Here, I laid out the tiles to see how it would look.




















I usually don't like busy patterns, but these tile stickers are so cute!





I was able to reposition them, so they aren't permanent, but they pulled the paint off.



There was no going back!























Here, I have attached the whole front row, which were complete tiles.




The back row needed to be cut.


The tiles were translucent, so it wasn't too hard.


I used scissors and it was OK, but probably a knife would have been better.





























This far end actually tucks into the wall.


It was tricky to cut the back corner piece.




I had enough sticker pieces left over to cover this little drawer in the shelf:



















Here is the final result:




















Here is a close up so you can see the stickers are thick and shiny, like tiles.




















Yay! Cute!




Comments

Popular Posts