and Salamanders



Warning: The Salamander is brown and worm-like.

Please skip if you think earthworms are gross.




During the rain we had this week, I wandered around with a flashlight.





























While I was inspecting some gutters to make sure the rain ran out smoothly, I found a salamander!







Just like one I found last spring in the back yard!



I picked it up and took pictures:




























I was more excited than if I had found a Purple Polka-Dotted Gila Monster!



My home is surrounded by miles of asphalt and brick, and all kinds of pollutant and pesticides.

It is so special to find a living amphibian.

Amphibians breathe through their skin and they don't survive well in the city.




























Just the cutest little thing.









Just look at those teeny tiny little legs!




























After taking pictures of its cuteness, I put it back where I found it.






Finding the elusive salamander kinda made up for the crappy times at work.

(I guess there is still one more straw left.)



I found another salamander in the blackberries.
























Last year this is where I found one.

It can't be the same one as the night before, because it's on the opposite corner of the yard!

I was happy to think it wasn't the only salamander in my yard.

I must be the only person in this crazy city of like 500,000 people, excited about this kind of stuff.







You can see that they really resemble a wet, brown twig:























(this is a wet, brown twig)





I found a third salamander in the garden corner!






















































It was fun exploring my garden at night.



I learned that the salamanders explore what is normally the highest and driest parts of the yard.




I never see them near the ponds.

















Sad, empty, pond, with no more koi fish.





They only come out at night, and only in January/February, and only while it is actively raining.




Maybe I am looking in the wrong direction for my next job?

Maybe what I need is something different than what I've been doing all this time.



It's so confusing!

Comments

  1. Salamanders are cool! I'm so glad you photographed him, as he seemed happy to oblige. Have a great weekend, Julie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts