I used my soldering iron again

I've had the Green car for almost exactly 5 years now, and it's still "coming together."
I've put a lot of parts into it, from the old Green Car.

One thing I never changed were the stereo or speakers.

Lately I've been feeling like something wasn't sounding right.
Today I decided to investigate the rear speakers.

They are easy to access, behind a panel.
(The front speakers are deep under the dashboard, and not so easy to get to.)

I have some very nice speakers from the old Green car.

Like 15 years ago, I had a stereo shop put in a whole system, with amplifiers and subwoofers.
After I wrecked the old Green car, I kept the parts.
I don't know anything about wiring a whole stereo system...

However, replacing speakers doesn't seem to involve all that.
(I looked up a little info online, first.)

Here is the back of the old speaker. It has a plug.

Just manipulating the old "paper" speakers made them fall apart.

There was no going back, now!

I had to un-solder the wires from the black plastic connector

The "new" speakers have a similar plug on the back.

I asked my dad, and he said I could just solder the two connector pieces together
so that's what I did!
Not a very neat job...
I installed the speaker back in, and it didn't work!
No sound came out at all.
So I had to take it all out again.

I saw that the soldered joint had come apart.
I put more solder, put it all back together, and this time the speaker worked!

I replaced both rear speakers now.
Unfortunately one front speaker isn't working, and that's under the dashboard.

I did get to use my soldering iron again!
And for something other than melting plastic army men.

I don't expect it to catch fire, but I will carry around a fire extinguisher just in case...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts