A really cool air plant craft


The day at work at church was especially crummy today.
A frail old lady who takes the bus to get canned food at our pantry, fell on the sidewalk.
And we had to have a mentally ill person arrested for breaking things.

When I got home, I tried to put those things behind me.
I had some ideas in mind for my next project.
Lately I'm really into Air Plants and succulents.

I saw several Pinterest ideas that used a hanging abalone shell, like this one:























Last summer, I bought this abalone shell at the Shell store in Seal Beach.
























The prices are reasonable and they have a wide selection.
This wasn't the nicest shell, but I really wanted an abalone and it was cheaper.
I'll have to go back again soon!

The inspiration used moss, which I didn't have, and got at Michael's.























The shell had some black imperfections.
I thought I would cover them up with small seashells from my collection.

This amazing mussel shell with barnacles that I found on the beach, really stood out.
I thought it would go well with the moss texture.























Once I decided where the shells would go, I glued them with hot glue.






















Also I threaded a piece of jute twine through the holes that are naturally in the shell.

Next I added the moss, a stick, and a little red bark that came with the package.























I really liked the mossy stick, but the package only had one.
On a later trip to the store, I found they all came with exactly only one such stick.
The rest of the package is kind of boring, fluffy moss.

I realized I don't have any sticks or driftwood in my collection of things I have found.
I've looked, but the beach I go to doesn't seem to have any good driftwood....

I glued down the stick and the bark, and just kind of tucked in the fluffy moss around it.

I added some more Tilandsia from my garden.























I didn't need to glue it down.

Here is the really cool finished shell:
























Even better than the original idea that inspired me!
It was a really good end to a really crummy day.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts