Day of the Dead altars part 2


Here are the rest of the pictures from the Noche de Altares at the church.

This is a closer-up view of my altar.

(I didn't take very good photos of my own altar!)















At first, I selected pictures from both my mom and dad's side of the family.

I ran out of room very fast!

I ended up using only pictures from my mom's (Mexican) side of the family.


There were about 5 or 6 altars in all.

Here are some of the others:

















The food offering is an important part of the altar.

If you watch the Disney movie Coco, it describes the Day of the Dead, better than I can.















I didn't buy a lot of food for my own altar. Just a few pieces of bread, and fruit.

I felt like it would be disrespectful to eat it afterward.

So I didn't buy a lot of food that would be thrown away!

Everyone else had a lot more candles, too.

























I think all the altars were much more interesting than mine!

However, most of them were put together by a whole family, or a prayer group.


















Next year if I make one, I will do one for the whole office staff.

Everyone can bring a picture of their departed.

I've also always wanted to build a curtain backdrop using PVC pipe!


The event also had dancers:
























There were activities for kids, too.

They had coloring pages, made paper flowers and decorated sugar skulls.

























Everyone prayed the rosary.


















There was free bread and chocolate after the mass.


I really enjoyed the event and had lots of ideas for next year.

Since my cars have been disabled, I'm appreciating that I can go to these activities, close to home.


Comments

  1. You did a great job showing the celebration and all the gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts