First Sunday Horse Show at Pomona




Yesterday the local paper had a guide to the pumpkin patches in the area.

I thought a pumpkin patch would be a good place to take pictures, on my day off.


I saw that Cal Poly Pomona had a pumpkin patch.

I hadn't been there in ages. Wasn't this the first Sunday of the month?

Forget about the pumpkins!



On the first Sunday of the month during the school year, they show the Arabian horses that they raise on the school grounds.




The land for the University was granted by Mr. Kellogg, with the stipulation that they maintain a herd of Arabian horses.



The show costs $4 and then you can walk around the stables. (It used to be $2)




The show is okay.



It is mostly students riding mostly Arabians in a variety of disciplines, to promote the breed.


Sometimes they have one that does tricks.


The horse at liberty is always beautiful.




Arabians have a very distinctive gait.




I used to have a friend with horses.




I miss hanging around the barn. The smells. The peaceful routine.



If you don't own horses it can be hard to find ways to be around them, without looking dumb.

You can't just walk up to a stable, and pet the strange horses.

It's a liability, and you could lose a limb.






I've been around horses enough to mostly leave them alone.




Going to the show kind of gives you an excuse to be there and wander around.



There are helpers around to make sure visitors don't do something dumb.




This mother horse for instance, could surely bite a stranger who got too close to her baby.




I wasn't really there to pet the horses, but they are awfully cute.




This big gray horse was my favorite.




Arabians are pretty small but this one was tall enough to look over his fence.

And show off a very nice athletic build.



I really enjoyed the taste of country.



























I saw on a map that the school has a few gardens as well.



I walked around the campus.


There was a pond full of ducks and turtles.



There was a rose garden, and a Japanese garden.







And a pond with koi and more turtles, and this curiously shaped tower.










































I wonder how different my life would have been if I went to this school instead of Fullerton?



I would have made sure that every class I took meant I had to walk near the stables.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts