Monarch caterpillars continue to grow


The monarch caterpillars are growing exponentially.

Here they are on Friday August 2.

























I was afraid they might eat each other.

I decided to give each caterpillar its own container.















They each eat  about a dozen Milkweed leaves every day.

Every day I change the damp paper towel on the bottom.

























They eat all day and produce a lot of poop, kind of like horses do!

The towel helps keep the leaves fresh and  makes cleanup easier.


At night the two smaller ones like to sleep on the side of the container.

























They make a silk web to stay fastened down. The silk was a surprise to me.


Every day I think they will make a cocoon, but they continue to eat and grow.

I should count the days since they hatched, to make a better guess!


The largest one stays up all night eating.



















Kind of like me.

Comments

  1. So cool! Thanks for the pictures to go with your observations.
    A great post I think!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts