Buttons on a denim jacket

I've seen so many great ideas on Pinterest for embellished jean jackets:

I haven't finished sewing the trim on the other jacket, but I got another idea.

Luckily I have a lot of jean jackets... Like this one:

I have a bunch of buttons. 

Here are some that look like coins:


It was a theme I saw in a lot of the embellished jackets.

I was going to sew these on the waistband of the jacket, like this:

I still will do that.

I sewed two buttons, and then I got another idea.

I wanted to do a design in buttons, like this moon and stars.

But the design doesn't really fit with the back center piece on my jacket.

I saw this awesome sunflower quilt.


 (This is made by a quilter who comes up a lot in my Pinterest ideas, named Sue Bianchi.)

For a reference, I found a picture of a real sunflower.

I started by sketching my design with chalk.

I really didn't want it to be in the center, like a bulls-eye. 

(But now I am feeling like it should have started from the midde!) 


I started with the dark center of the flower, using the smallest buttons I had.


I thought if I used gradually larger buttons, it would give the impression of the spiral shape that occurs in the sunflower.

Then I didn't follow my plan at all, and just used any size buttons!


Here is the back side which is kinda neat looking:


It ended up not very round. 

I started adding little beads to fill in the empty spaces, and maybe make it more round.

What I didn't expect was for three whole hours to disappear!


I put it away for a few days, and this weekend I started on the petals.

I didn't think I had enough yellow buttons, but apparently, I have enough.

I felt better about the design once I started making the petals.

The center part is still looking wonky...

I was surprised when another three hours went by!

Here is where I ended up:

Here, you can see how much more I have to do, to fill the center part of the jacket:

I think if I finish one "flower" completely, then I could actually wear the jacket...

Comments

Popular Posts