Return to Peters Canyon


On Easter Sunday I went for a walk.

It is traditional for families to take a picnic on Easter. Easter ham is also a tradition.

Dad bought a 10 lb ham (it was the smallest he could find)

I'll be eating it for days, (even if I sneak some to the dogs.)

So, I had to walk, for sure!

Peter's Canyon park was still green.















When I went (three weeks ago?) it was so green, it smelled like wet paint!

This Sunday, it smelled more familiar.

The grasses are drying out, but the mustard is still in bloom.




In some places, the mustard was taller than the roof of my house!

















Among the mustard was a new flower, this bright purple thistle.


























Seeing this greenery, I realized I never went hiking in the short spring.

My memories are of dust and dry straw. I have never seen the thistle bloom.

Have I only ever visited these parks in the summer and winter?


I walked counter-clockwise around the reservoir, opposite of last time.















The bright sun made it really hard to photograph the shining water.

Steep hill, which I did not walk up.















I went around behind the suicide hill and found some other trails which were less steep.



















I followed a side trail that didn't go into the creek but zig-zagged behind the hill.


Even though it was almost 7pm, the color was amazing.

This yellow-green gradient will definitely be one of my "desktop backgrounds"















The soft, puffy mustard weed looked like a Bob Ross painting.















Like Jacki said, it was a very worthy hike!

Here is the better way to go, down the steep hill.
















I always plan my walks near sunset, so I can avoid the sun rays and get better pictures.

The canyon seemed to go on forever, but the day ended, and I had to head back.

I am curious to see what is down in the creek...



Edit: This young lady took the exact same walk I did, exactly one week ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-JTxSf8CA

Check out this awesome video!



Comments

  1. Thanks Julie, your photos are beautiful. Since I am familir with Peters Canyon, it felt like I was on the walk, wish I could get the caloric credit. I think you might mention to click on your photos to see close-ups?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts