Not emeralds, part Two


Still making trinkets out of plastic "water."

Friday I got out of work too late to go to Blick's, or Art supply Warehouse,
my planned destination where I have found quality powdered pigment.

I was able to get to Jo-Ann's crafts with a 20% off coupon. Fabric paint was 20% off!
(I was glad I only got 2 packets of dye at Michael's.)

I bought 6 packets of fabric dye powder.















I read the back of the package and it said to add salt, (a dye fixative)

So I was pretty sure this new dye would not have big salt crystals in it.


The RIT dye left behind a lot of crystals.



















The new dye looked nice in these containers I got (also 20% off.)


















I also bought a gem-shaped, silicone, candy mold in the candy aisle.


























It looked to have a slightly shiny surface, instead of matte like most candy molds.

Unfortunately the new dyes did not dissolve in the plastic.

Not one bit.

The gem shape was nice, and relatively shiny.

















However, the dye powder, although seemingly finer, fell straight to the "bottom".

These were all supposed to be some shade of green.

I had to add some of the RIT dye to get any color to appear.















In the picture you can see the bottom (face) of the mold.


I would have been much better off using un-dyed Easy Water.

Well, now I have several shades of tie-dye to use for a fabric project!


I used many other molds I have collected.

Some had more interesting results.

This silicone mold is for making 3/4" round ice cube balls.






















I did not have any success using this mold with solder or hot glue in the past.

(Not sure where I found it. Maybe Target.)


It made nearly perfect plastic "marbles" with a strange, almost fuzzy finish.
























I will have to explore that mold more.

I'm not yet out of options for tinting the "Eazy Water."


The Pearl-Ex does float well in the substance.



It is very satisfying to watch it settle.

I have only shiny Pearl-Ex, from a set.

But I think I can find some matte powders somewhere.




Comments

Popular Posts