I made some earrings



One of the tools I bought recently was a hole punch tool.
















This is not like the pliers I used the other day.


This one, you put a sheet of metal in the tool and then hammer it, and out comes a disc!




(This is also one of those things to get at Michael's with a coupon, only)



One thing I've seen a lot lately, in fashion magazines, are geometric earrings, like these:


























I decided to try to make them with the materials I have.


I used some sheet tin.

(Hobby Lobby has metal sheets and other materials, in the model trains aisle)





















I don't thin I can solder tin (in future projects) but it seemed easy to cut.

Unfortunately my old hole making tool (in the picture above) didn't work.

I must have dulled it, trying to make holes in thick coins, the other day.



I also tried a punch I found at home. (I think it is for making belt holes)




















It worked a little too well, and pierced too big of a hole, ruining the disk.



Next, I used a thicker gauge copper sheet to form the circles.




















These held their shape better.



I used my new Power punch pliers with the smallest hole setting:






















The holes I punched were larger than the picture I was trying to copy.

Also I didn't carefully measure the placement of the holes, so they were all off.



I used half of a center disc that I hammered out, to make the dangly bits.



I decided to hammer the metal to make a dimpled appearance.

























The block I used to hammer on, has gotten rust.

I also filed down some sharp edges.


The end result was a bit different from the idea, but I liked it enough to wear.




























I want to make them bigger, but I don't have a punch big enough for the outside diameter.


Next time, I will draw the circles, and cut them with snips.



Comments

  1. Very cool. I love how you experiment. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. I read your blog and it has the best ideas for earring shop online because you have described it nicely. I hope in future you will write more posts like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts