Last Weekend in June

This week was pretty busy,and I'm glad it's the weekend.

Working at the church has been pretty crazy ever since we opened.
I finally feel like I am catching up with making calls and rescheduling the events that had been postponed from March, April, and May.

Also, as the parishioners become more familiar with the new weekly Mass schedule, I will get fewer incoming phone calls.

Dad had an angiogram on Friday.
It was a bit difficult because I couldn't even wait in the waiting room.
I basically had to drop him off.

It went well, no blocked arteries were found.
His doctor then prescribed a new medication for his arrythmia, which is the main problem.

The week was a bit stressful, but now I'm glad we can both rest a bit easier.

This weekend we will be starting to work on this fence.
This side of the yard was really neglected compared to the other sides.

It was actually worse, before I started working in the garden during the lockdown.
This is AFTER removing a 6 foot tall geranium, and weed whacking.

I began to prune the cactus a few weeks ago.

When I talked to the neighbor, we decided to remove it completely.

The neighbor built this fence.
I added the plywood sheets, because long ago, my dogs liked to stand there and bark at their dog through the fence in a menacing way.
Their dog passed away a while ago, but the plywood is kind of holding it together.
The neighbor took out the cactus for free.
He brought up making the fence into brick, like the other fences.
I decided it was a good idea, better now than never!

The neighbor found us a good deal with a bricklayer, which we would split 50/50.
The neighbor wanted to keep the brick center posts, which he made.
I think it will look unusual, but it's cheaper that way.
However, he also wanted to save costs by making the rest of the fence in gray block.

Since the neighbor is doing all the work of finding the bricklayer and removing the old fence, I figured it would be no trouble to spend a little more on my end, to have beige brick.
It will cost about a dollar more per brick, but I'm OK with it.
I don't care what shade of beige it is, but gray cinder block would be dreadful.

In the meantime I needed to come up with a way to contain the dogs.
I didn't know when we would start on the fence, or if we would be at the hospital all week.
I decided to try this cheap plastic chicken fencing.

I fenced off the opposite corner of the yard, where they can't see the other side.
They are less agitated when they can't see strangers in the yard.

The dogs are aged 10 and 16, so they aren't likely to chew or jump over.
They might just sit on it and knock it over...


It's mostly to keep the dogs from wandering into the way of the work.
Or keep them from going into the street.

We can always shut them in the garage, like we did when we were remodeling the house...

This week I also had an explosion of flowers in the fish pond!

It made me feel good because if I don't "weed" the pond correctly, we don't get flowers.
If I leave it alone, the plants will overtake the pond.
Also the purple hyacinth won't flower at all, if it isn't thinned out properly.

The flowers last only a day, but there are more to come!

Just grateful to be at home and not anywhere else this weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts