Shadow box with seashells


Continued from yesterday.


I took the larger, more interesting shells outside.
















I sprayed them with a random gloss varnish (from another project,) to bring out the colors.


Before:

















After:


















I'm not really happy with that gross starfish.





While the shells dried, I painted the interior back of the shadow box white.


The box was made of cheap wood, but it had a nice grain I didn't want to cover.




















I used some water-based "walnut" stain which I watered down even more.





























It took the rest of the day for the varnished shells to dry outside.



Meanwhile I used some left-over plain white clam shells to decorate the back of the box.





I used a ton of hot glue, and ran out of clam shells, so there were some scallops too.




























I wondered how it would look if I poured resin all over it....

But I don't have resin.

Actually I've only tried to use resin once, and it was a disaster...



So the next day (today, Monday) I glued down the rest of the shells.

Over the top of the white background shells.








































It came out really nice.

































I put it on a wall in the bathroom, where I will see it every day.


It surprises me every time I look up.





Somewhere I heard that what you do on New Year's Eve, is what you'll do all year long.

I think it was in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."



So, I hope to keep making crafts and blogging about it, all 2019!


Happy New Year to my followers!

Comments

  1. Love following your blog. The shells did turn out really nice. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Julie! A great step-by-step!
    We followers are looking forward your 2019,
    it's gonna be great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts