Fixing the window



The window on the Red car wouldn't go up or down.



Usually the motor that controls the electric windows gets slow before it goes bad.

This time it just broke with no warning.



On Wednesday, I talked to Don the mechanic.

I hadn't been to his shop in a month, and was glad to see not much had changed.




















Last month he appeared to be packing up to leave, or to split the building with another tenant.

Today I was glad to see all the parts and junk in their usual places.



There is always an assortment of tools, and parts, and things being built, at Don's shop.

It is very entertaining just to look at it all!



I spotted this stethoscope which is for pinpointing air leaks in remote parts of the motor.






























The cars were not designed to have these window motors replaced easily.




















The motor itself is riveted into the door.


First Don had to carefully remove the inside upholstered door panel.



















The mechanisms inside of the door are covered with a plastic moisture barrier.

The car has low miles and this had never been worked on before.



From out of the door came the manufacturers build sheet.




















It has some of the specifics of the car's parts and features.

There are other code stickers in places like the door jams and in the trunk.

This paper is pretty rare to find.


Don had to drill out the rivets and they were replaced with nuts and bolts.



The window rides on a scissors-like track and it is all contained inside the door.

It had to be taken apart and put back together again.

This was a whole day project.

The window now goes up and down fine.




However I had to go to work before Don was able to put the door panels back on.


I planned to return Thursday to get the door back together.

Also, one of my wheels began making a loud noise.



However, due to some missed phone calls, I wasn't able to connect with Don.

I spent yesterday making stretch beaded bracelets, instead.























(I played with the brightness on my phone camera)


Today, Friday, is my day off, and I plan to go back to the shop in the afternoon.

Comments

  1. Wow! I love that you are so knowledgeable about cars, my Dad would have liked you! Hope your window is up and you can stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts