Pinterest- Dragon's egg

On a recent visit to Hobby Lobby, I saw these Easter eggs on clearance, 2 for 30 cents.

I remembered seeing crafts on Pinterest, -Dragon's eggs, instead of Easter eggs.

I'm not sure why I decided to take on this new project...

I guess lately I've been reverting to a kind of fantasy state of mind, to escape my problems!

Here are some examples from Pinterest:


Most of these examples are made from polymer clay. 

I couldn't do that. The egg would have to be completely made of polymer clay from the start, since it would have to be baked to dry.

Another idea I saw was this plastic egg covered with a design in hot glue, and then paint:

I might do this one next.

This other idea from Pinterest uses a styrofoam egg with push-pins to create scales:

This looks very neat, but you have to start with a styrofoam egg first.

I wanted my egg to look like the second example, using glass, vase-filler beads. 

I thought I had a bunch, but I couldn't find them at home.

Instead I had these flat, half-dome shaped plastic pearls:

I used Mod Podge to glue them to an egg. 

I had to paint the egg first, in order for them to stick.

Here is the egg, with all the pearls stuck to it:

The pearls were pretty. 

It felt like a shame to cover them, but they just weren't the look I wanted.

I painted over everything with more coppery acrylic paint:

Now it looked more like a dinosaur-dragon egg!

I added greenish highlights.

I wanted to add green jewels, but I only had very tiny ones.

Here is the result:

Originally my plan was to make a bunch to put them in my garden, but it seems like they will be too fragile and fancy. We'll see where they end up.

I will be checking out the Dollar store this week, and make a different kind of Dragon's egg, next.

Comments

  1. I love to see your mind work and how you make thing work mainly with what you have.
    Good job, Julie, I think a Dragon would be proud.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts