faces

This week has been uneventful.

Mostly just stress at work.

The cars are OK, still making squeaks and rattles that I'd rather not have.



Today I took an art class at Catalyst art studio in Westminster,

"Mixed Media Portraits" with artist Jacki Long.

https://www.artsupplywarehouse.com/catalyst.php



I missed last week's class, but it's OK, because it isn't a really formal kind of class.

The studio provides us with all the supplies.

It's nice to be able to show up with nothing, and leave with artwork!



Jacki puts up pictures of students work on her own blog, here:

http://jackilong.blogspot.com/


For the first part of the class, we got a picture of a face from a magazine, and a sanding block.

We sanded down the face so that it blurred the image.

We drew the face over again, and then collaged it onto a big piece of green paper.




Jacki suggested we invent the hair for our picture, so that's what I did. Fun!

I didn't have any theme in mind, I just used the papers that I had at hand.


In another part of the class, Jacki gave us post cards made from good watercolor paper.

We drew faces on them using pens.


I have some brush pens like the one I used in the class:



First we drew the faces and then we added some watercolor.


The first face I made came out surprisingly well.




I drew the eye first and then drew the face around it.




I went overboard with the brush pen on this one:



I kind of like it, though.

Some of the other faces looked more like Jacki's work than my own.



I didn't like the way the water interacted with the pen, so I didn't color in all the faces.



For this one, I pasted some papers around on the hair, to make it less boring.



I used a lighter touch with the brush pen lines.



It was still tricky to keep the lines from running.



I haven't done anything in my sketchbook for a few weeks, so I was not disappointed in the way things ended up.


I was very disappointed to come home and turn on the news, and find that another shooting happened.

Comments

  1. So glad you were in class with us Julie, you are so talented!Hope to see you next week?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts