Gardening more

Here are some more updates on my gardening.

Today I finally finished weeding and seeding the vegetable patch.

I was eager to get things planted before March, because in my experience, things from seed don't grow well after that time.

I planted a little bit of everything, in case some things fail.

I planted beans, peas, corn, sunflowers, carrots, radishes, onions, asparagus, one squash sprout, and other sprouts that I forgot to label. 

Here, I tried making a kind of net with twine, to keep the dog and cat out.

I also have tomatoes and peppers in containers, but I don't have much trouble with those things.


Besides my vegetable patch, this year I want to do something with this side yard.

We put up the brick fence here a year or two ago.

It's sunny but not too sunny, and plants seem to do well here without much care.

It hasn't gotten too weedy since we put the fence up, so it was easy to dig up.


This is one of the photos from Pinterest that inspired me:


In this picture, the sun is actually how the sun goes in my side yard. It falls on the house.

However my pictures are taken from the opposite direction.

Here is some progress:

I planted some of my herbs that weren't doing good in the sunny vegetable bed.

I planted a lot of parsley this year, not because I like parsley, but I heard Swallowtail Butterfly caterpillars do.

The yellow flowers are a a yellow variety of milkweed, also for the butterflies.

I hope to plant sunflowers and other flowers on this other side, but so far it's just a place for cactus.

The grass is a little thicker on this side, and I need a place to put all the cactus.

I usually work on this area a few minutes every day, during my lunch break.


Last weekend, I decided to dig up and replant the window box in the front.


It was looking cute and cottage-y, but I felt like the geraniums were getting out of hand.

There were a lot of shamrocks in the flower box:

They like shade, and containers.

They resemble the common yellow "clover" weed, (Oxalis,) but in fact grow from a bulb. 

I think they have tiny white flowers, so I left most of them in the box.

(I dug up this bunch and put them in a pot to give away, but they look really wilted now)


I replaced most of the geraniums with annuals. Here is how it ended up:



I'm sorry about the comments being turned off!

I will toggle some more switches and see if it gets fixed....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts