A review of the dogs I've had before, and introducing...

Ever since my older dog Blackie died last year, I've had it in mind to get another dog. 

Sammy has been a little depressed, but the timing wasn't right.

My dad has asked a few times if I wouldn't like to get a full German Shepherd, (Sammy is half) because he used to have a pair when he was younger. I disagreed because they grow to be very large, and are known to have genetic health problems. You have to really research their bloodlines. 

Growing up, I always liked the trained dogs I would see in the TV and movies. When I was 11 or 12, I got a collie.

He grew up to look exactly like Lassie. However, he had many health issues, he wasn't too bright, and due to his poor eyesight, could not even play fetch properly. I was busy with school, so I didn't really notice his flaws.

After Mike, a friend gave me a stray, Queenie, who was Lab and Chow. 

She lived a long life of good health and had the shiniest fur. We did a little obedience training, but I didn't stick with it. I liked how she loved our fish pond. She was clever enough to open door knobs by rolling them between her paws! She had a Chow personality, which is very loyal to one person, and was just OK around other dogs.

We also had a little dog during this time, when he died at aged 18,  I got Blackie.

He never caused trouble and maybe that's why we didn't do any training. He was good at fetch, and I always like a frisbee dog. His main trait was that he was safe and gentle with even children and small animals.

After Queenie died, I got Sammy with the interest in doing training again. I got him on Craigslist, I picked his kind of dog (Cattle Dog mixed with Shepherd) because it seemed it would be smart. And he was.

I never had a dog like Sammy, and I didn't do a good job socializing him with other dogs. 

I took him to different trainers and I found a good place that specializes in German Shepherds, where he learned to run an agility course. Although he learned so many things, I never felt he was safe enough around other dogs, so we didn't compete.

(It took me many months to train Sammy not to chase the cat. They are not friends, but he respects her.)

This week I was looking at dogs again. There are always Heeler puppies for sale. 

Heeler aka Cattle dog:

They are smart dogs, and medium sized, but I still prefer look of German Shepherds.

I was still indecisive, but on Thursday I saw an ad on Craigslist for Shepherd / Cattle dog puppies. 

I liked the look of this bunch. I suddenly decided I was going to go get a puppy, and I did!

I was even able to see pictures of the parents, which I never got for Sammy:

Dad and mom. Cattle dogs are a little bit fugly, but very agile.

All the pups were black-and-tan which made it easier to choose based on personality.

I wished Sammy was more outgoing with people and other dogs, so I picked the friendliest and most outgoing of the puppies.

I knew Dad would like him right away, because it looks like the shepherd


There was a little drama. The puppy is pretty tiny, so I knew I'd have to keep them separated.


I tried having them in the same room together like this, but Sammy is obsessed, and not in a good way. Sammy does not understand anything about puppies, and the puppy doesn't know what danger is!
Sammy looks like he's ready to slay a rat, and I don't blame him being jealous.

I will have to keep them apart for a WHILE, but we have lots of space and rooms.
The puppy mostly has run of the patio and Sam is mostly in the garage and yard, and we split the house time so Sammy doesn't feel left out.

The cat is doing OK, just avoids the puppy or stares at him.

He was born January 20 which makes him about 2 months today. 

He looks small for 8 weeks. I like that.

Although work is busy, I live close enough to home to visit during my lunch hour and do puppy duties (letting him out for housebreaking, etc.)

I'm working on a name. I'm terrible at names! 

My pastor is great at naming animals. I showed him this picture yesterday, and he came up with "Blitz."

(His eyes are a funny color, I wonder if they will end up wolf-yellow like the father)


He does look like a Blitz. I can already picture him flying through the air!

I want to name him Wolverine, because he is the same color as the animal, and it's my favorite superhero!


Sammy was a handful, and still is, even at almost 12 years of age, but I'm excited to be starting with a new puppy again, and with more experience now.

Comments

Popular Posts