Deconstructed denim jacket

The other day, the Goodyear blimp flew over the church!



It was nice to see. I felt like a kid again. I thought it had been retired.



This week I saw a really cool idea for a denim jacket! I had to do it.

It was the first project in one of those common, 10-minute long videos of "crafts"

"30 STYLISH DIY SUMMER CLOTHES REVAMPS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3RY0y0pTpg&t=91s


From the internet, not my own pictures:




They cut out sections and then put a tulle mesh in its place.


I have a bunch of old denim jackets, so I could sacrifice one.

This one is a Chico's brand, from a thrift store.


Next I went to Jo-Ann's.

I found a remnant of tulle floral mesh that looks a lot like the picture!



It was $19.95 a yard!  Yikes!

Luckily, they were having a sale on remnants, and I got the yard and a half piece for about $9.

It feels like a very sturdy fabric, too.



Cutting up the jacket was fun.




Sometimes you just need to make holes in things with sharp objects.




I think I cut out too much!

After cutting it, I had to fray the edges so it had a fringe.

I think I spent two hours or more doing this.


It still looks like a rat chewed it up.

There were threads everywhere...

I did it in the dog's room, though, so it got vacuumed up with the hair.



Here, I kind of laid out the tulle with the jacket to see what it would look like:



Now I ran into a small problem: I can't sew!

I can stitch, and I just hemmed some jeans that way.
But there is no way I am stitching this whole thing!

I have two options: take a sewing class at JoAnn's. I really, really want to learn.
Unfortunately the next sewing class that might fit in my schedule would be July 30th.

Or use hot glue, which is what they did in the video.
I didn't know hot glue came in a fabric version...

I guess I'm off to find glue.

Comments

  1. Nice step-by-step Julie, and what an ambitious one!
    I can't sew either, but I love stitchery of any kind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts