reconstructed denim jacket




Before I get to the results of the jacket project:



I got a post card from Jacki!




If you take one of artist Jacki Long's classes, you can sign up to be on a mailing list, and Jacki will send you a hand made postcard!

Both sides are decorated:



I have received a few post cards over the years from Jacki, and they are always a pleasant surprise.

Here is a link to Jacki's blog:   http://jackilong.blogspot.com/

She updates every day, which is really inspiring.





Yesterday I went to Michael's and I didn't see a special kind of hot glue stick for fabric.

(There is a glue for fabric, but I have used it before and it's kind of like super-glue.)



I just bought regular hot glue.



The Gorilla brand, I found at Walmart, and I used that because it sounded more durable.


Although I'm pretty sure I won't be wearing and washing the jacket a lot, once it's done.


I just started with the large panel in the back.



I didn't measure anything and just cut and glued down each panel at a time.


I had to press the fabric into the hot glue.


I used a silicone candy mold (from a different project) because the glue was too hot to touch.




Once each panel dried, then I just cut the excess from the edges.


Here is the jacket about half way through.




It was hard at first, because the jacket was just strips of cloth.

It was hard to find the shape that was supposed to go in the hole.

Once there were more pieces together again, it got easier.


The part that went on the back around the shoulders was the hardest.


Here are some pictures of the final results:




back:


The model in the picture I saw, wore the jacket over a black halter top.


The glued seams are too itchy for it to be practical. It is also not as ventilated as I hoped.


Luckily, the weather is still cool enough at night that I can wear a jacket at all!


If I can decide what to wear it with, I will try to take a better picture later.

Comments

  1. Thanks Julie, I'm glad your postcard arrived okay, I thought you might like a different one?
    I think your jacket turned out great!
    Your fabric selection works so well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts