Harvesting pearl... buttons



Happy August!



It's a new month, and maybe this month I will blog more than once a week!




Did you know, if you put a bunch of buttons into a shoe box, they multiply?






Yesterday, I thought about making crafts with buttons.


Maybe some more earrings.




I took out my shoe box of random buttons, and began to sort through them.



These mother-of-pearl buttons caught my eye.





The more I sorted through the pile, the more I found.



I don't remember buying them.

Maybe I forgot?

Maybe they were Mom's.




Pretty soon I had a huge pile of summery, pearly, buttons that I had never seen before!






I had more than I would need for just earrings.



I looked up a tutorial on how to string buttons, to make a necklace.


I found instructions for the kind of necklace I wanted to make, on this blog:


https://www.adventuresofadiymom.com/2012/08/button-necklaces-blog-swap.html



It was interesting to check out her blog, too.

It is nice to see what other people are doing.


I have rarely tried to knot pearls or cord before.

It takes more concentration than connecting wire loops.

But there was no other way to make the buttons lie flat like I wanted.



I found some cord in another box.




It was all too thick to string into any buttons.


After work, I went to Michael's and bought some thinner cord from the same material.






Even this was rather thick, (but I was using the tiniest of the buttons.)





The cord only went through the holes once, but it is supposed to go through the holes twice in a sort of figure eight pattern.



I knotted it like it was, and I was not completely happy with the result.





I anticipated the cord wouldn't fit, so I also picked up some very thick thread.




I have regular sewing thread at home, but this is for upholstery.


I never noticed, because I don't do much things with thread, that Michael's does not have a good assortment of thread in the sewing department, or bead stringing material in the bead area.



I ran out of steam, and didn't really get farther than this:




I think this thread will work much better.


If I have time before work today, I will try a slightly different idea I saw on Pinterest.

Comments

  1. I love watching your projects, and the button photos are terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts