I got help with the car upholstery project


The other day, I was feeling blue.

I hadn't seen my car club friends in awhile so I went to visit Don at his shop.


Birds of a feather...




I was only there for 30 minutes but it was a great morale booster, like always.

Don was working on Troy's Corvette.

There are not a lot of Corvette owners in our circle because we are kind of beneath them.

Troy's car is from the late 80's to early 90's.

For those years these Corvettes shared a lot of parts in common with Camaro's and Firebirds.

Don built Troy's 350 chevy motor, the same we all have, so we don't think he is too much of a snob.





One thing that's very different is how the hood is attached on a Corvette!





(I think there is a scratch on my phone's camera lens. I've been getting this lens flare lately. )



Troy's car has a very nice interior for a 25 year old car.




He gave me a tip- the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleans the interior plastics without damaging them!

I have a bunch of those, and once I'm done doing the carpet, I'm going to try it.



It's tricky taking pictures of a car that's the size of a boat, and fitting it all in view...


Here is the inside of my trunk. The glass hatch is up.

I have a cute blanket covering the dingy carpet in back.




That's the fuel tank and rear axle under the skull blanket.
The ugly bundle of wires controls a motor that locks the hatch when you pull it down.


I was not able to remove this huge piece of interior plastic at home so I asked them for advice:





It was attached to the car with plastic tabs.

I didn't want to break them but it couldn't be helped.



(This is looking toward the front, looking down at the right rear wheel, the seat belt assembly.)





This is a view of one of the tabs on the opposite side of the trunk.



If you remember, I broke a Torx wrench bit trying to loosen the seat belt bolts.




I can work the carpet out from under the plastic trim, to replace it.

But I can't get the ugly trim out without taking the seat belts out...


The guys also helped me to loosen those bolts with their better tools and bigger arms.




I asked Don where buy a better tool to replace the one I broke.

He said to get it at Sears, because they will replace it if it breaks.



I went to Sears to buy a tool, which was another first for me.




I can't afford to buy a whole set of these right now. This one alone, was $10.

So I have only it, just for removing the seat belts from a Firebird.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts