My cars get more vacations than I do

Right after my trip to San Diego, Don said he had an opening to work on the Red Car.

A few months ago I bought a new clutch, and a kit to upgrade the brakes from the 1980's to the 2000's.

The process of changing the brakes is time consuming, so not a lot of people will do this.

I am super grateful that he was able to fit me in his busy schedule.








Many years ago, Don did this same upgrade for the green car.

The Red car isn't going to be a race car, (at least not anytime soon.)



I have been going back and forth the last few days to visit the Red Car.



These are the new calipers:




More surface area = better stopping.




I don't have a "before" picture of the old front brake.

The new ones look almost the same but about 25% larger.





The rear end had drum brakes, an older style of brakes.

Here, I did take a "before" picture:




Don had to cut and reshape this bracket that holds the brakes to the axle.



Here is the new setup:



Looking through my pictures, I see that we had the whole rear end assembly out of the car, about this time last year.



I can't remember why?

Probably the fuel pump.

I was going to get the car back Friday, but when I called Don, he had terrible news.

Somebody had stolen the driveshaft from his work truck, which he leaves parked outside the garage.

He had to spend the day at a junkyard trying to find another drive shaft.

Tomorrow, Saturday, some of the people from the car club are going to put their cars on the dyno and see how much horsepower they make.

Since there aren't many race tracks nearby anymore, it kind of replaces drag racing, ...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts