Demolition derby

On Monday, Dad settled on a company to remodel the kitchen.

He had several people come in last week to give estimates.

He was eager to start as soon as possible, so Thursday morning (which is now today!)

At 7am, they will show up to demolish the old cabinets.


Tuesday was my day off and I spent the whole day taking everything out of the cabinets and putting it in the patio. And today, too.

(I also put up my Christmas lights. I'm tired.)


We haven't remodeled the kitchen in my whole life, but I didn't find many surprises.




The cabinets are still lined with this contact paper from the 70's.


There were a lot of things that I remember from my childhood, but some that weren't there any more.

There were absolutely no cookie cutters, and I remember making cookies as a child...


In the end I was pleased and surprised that there wasn't as much crap as I thought there would be.

Mom was pretty good at getting rid of crap.


We did throw out a cabinet full of redundant pots and pans, and I took some cookbooks to the Salvation army, (cookbooks that I inherited when a cousin passed away.)

You can get all kinds of recipes online now, anyway.


I was too busy to take pictures, but I remembered to take pictures of the empty kitchen.

"Before"





The cat is happy because there were boxes to play in, and a maze of furniture in the other room.

Here she is sitting in bubble wrap.



The kitchen is not big, about 8' x 20'. It is not going to be very modern or trendy.

Dad did all the planning. I was OK with that.


He used to work in the building materials industry and he even built his own first house.


I don't really know a lot about interior design.


The company let us look at a lot of samples.

So far, it looks like we agreed on wood cabinets, a light gray faux marble counter top, beige ceramic tile for the floor to match the patio.

The company suggested a very light blue color for the walls.


Anything will be an improvement!

I'm very excited and I'm sure dad is, too, because this is something he has wanted to do for a long time.


I have another day off on Friday, and will try to take pictures..

Comments

  1. It's always fascinating to watch change.
    I identify with the contact shelf paper ...
    that hangs on forever! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts