Using a vase as a fishbowl and a planter

The other day I was at IKEA buying a chest of drawers, to match the dresser I got a few weeks ago.

(I put that together last weekend.)

IKEA had lucky bamboo in a tube for $2

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90105781/

I thought it would be interesting to put in a vase by my desk at work.



I put it in a vase with glass marbles, very similar to this picture:



After staring at it for two or three days, I began to daydream.

I looked at ideas online for a fishbowl with plants growing out of it.

After doing some research, I was discouraged about the fish part.

But I still wanted to put something together!


At home I had this big 1 gallon-sized glass vase.

It had been used for potpourri, and also for holding fake fruit.


Here, I tried to put some water and really big marbles in it.


I found a not-so dirty plastic plant tray, that fit the top of the vase exactly.


I used my handy heat tool to melt a large hole in the center, where the plants will go.



I also made many smaller holes for air, because if I do put a fish in there, it needs air.

I used a heat tool because poking that kind of plastic with a knife makes it crack.



I used the top of a big juice bottle to make a holder to keep the plants from falling in the water.






I gathered some bits of houseplants that I think will live with only water.

Here are some plants now in the juice bottle top,  the plant tray resting on the vase:



I wrapped their roots with some burlap to keep them from further wandering around.




( I happened to have brown burlap that looked really good and matched the roots.)


Here is what I ended up with:


The plants I used were from around the house.
Peace Lily, Pothos, Arrowhead Plant, Hedera Ivy, a little curly fern.

The long streamers are from a potted Oregano.
They didn't have much root on them, so I don't know how it will do in a vase.

Horsetail grass that looks like bamboo.
I didn't leave any room for my lucky bamboo (it's still at work)

Here is a close-up of the inside.


I did end up putting in a tiny fish, one that didn't cost anything.
The city requires us to put Mosquito Fish in our pond.

They are like guppies, but without any color, and very durable.
It is in the upper right of the picture.

At home, besides the koi pond, I also have a 55 gallon aquarium with different fish and living plants, and I put a few sprigs of those plants in the bottom of the jar.


One thing I will change is the marbles in the bottom.

I tried river rocks from the garden, too, but everything I found around the house was too big.


Edit: Never seen a fish keel over and die so quickly.




It was either the raw tap water, not enough air holes, or something else like a chemical.

Comments

  1. Sorry for your loss, but what a great idea, keep going! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts