Saturday, December 17, 2016

A very busy day off

A few weeks ago, I signed up for a one-day art class at Catalyst, called Cards and Mail Art by artist Jacki Long.
The class was from 10AM to 1 PM but I decided to take the whole day off.
I had already worked too many hours last weekend because of the Guadalupe Festival.
Also, the local Camaro and Firebird club moved their semi-annual get-together to the 17th, too.

I got up at 7 to wash and wax the red car.
I used my fancy art crayons to fill in the stone chips on the hood.

I got to Jacki's class pretty late.

In the class we made post card-sized artwork with collage, and paint, and mixed media.
Here's some things I made:

I was too busy having fun making stuff to take pictures during the class, but everyone made amazing stuff.
You can see pictures of everyone's work in Jacki's own blog:
(in a day or two)

Jacki's class ended around 1:00 PM.
The car club was to meet in Long Beach at 2:30.

To kill some time I bought some random things at the Art Supply Warehouse.

One neat thing I found was this powdered pigment:

I guess you are supposed to sprinkle it onto wet paper and it makes a neat effect.
Kind of like Pearl-Ex but more pigment and no sparkle.
I bought blue, magenta and yellow.
Not sure what to do with it yet, but it's fun.

Next it was off to the abandoned movie theater parking lot, to meet up with the car club.
About 10 people showed up, which is pretty normal these days.
( In the foreground is my red car. I forgot to take a close-up picture. )

The members are anybody who owns a 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird and posts on the huge nationwide message board called

At one time, local members would hold organized meetings every month.
Sometimes as many as 30 people and cars would get together.

But there was a big disagreement in how the club was run, and feelings were hurt.
Now, different leaders will occasionally try to organize a meet-up, but because they can't get along, usually only 10 or 15 people will go to any one event.

Today about half the people were old friends and the other half I'd never seen before.

There was a nice red Camaro convertible the same color as my Firebird:

The guy in the black car next to mine, put in an LS3. (The latest thing, or almost)
A lot of people are able to put all kinds of motors in their car, but not many go through a Referee to make it completely Smog Legal, which this guy did.

It is quiet and stealthy and makes over 400 hp.

The plan was to drive down PCH to Laguna, then drive east to the Irvine Spectrum.

Some people were able to drive AND take pictures, and I will post a link to them as soon as I can.

It was a lovely sunset drive.
We all got there safely and had burgers. It was very cold so we all went home.

When I got home, I wanted to upload my pictures from my phone to my hard drive.
(Editing the pictures directly from the phone is slow.)

To my horror of horrors, I realized I left my portable hard drive AT WORK ALL DAY plugged into the computer I share with the new office manager.

I'd been playing Christmas carols.

I was tired when I got home, but now I'm wide awake.
I went right away to the office to retrieve it...

How could I do such a dumb thing?

Most of my pictures are just the same stuff as on the blog, except more of them, personal but boring.
However, I have a vast music collection.
I wouldn't play my heavy metal at the church office, but even just the titles are scandalous...

It's pretty obvious when the device is plugged in too, because it notifies you on the screen, so there's no way she could have missed seeing it during the WHOLE day!!!

Oh well... tomorrow is another day, we'll see what happens when I get in to work...

Maybe I'll be getting A LOT more days off to play with cars and art...

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were able to be in class, you always do amazing work! ;o)