Thinking about something new

Mom is not doing as well as expected to be able to come home on Sunday.
She needs to be monitored a little more.

The other day, on the way home from the hospital, I stopped at Michael's and looked for something to help me solder.

I saw a roll of solder, but for some reason I didn't buy it.
I'm glad I didn't because I still had to figure out what kind of solder I needed.
I learned there is lead-free solder, which is probably what they sell at Michael's (and probably not what I will find in my dad's tool shed.)

Also I learned that soldering would be OK for closing the rings in my latest project.
If I had been using real silver or gold, I would need to use a torch.
I'm not ready to try the torch yet...

What I did buy at Michael's was a roll of copper foil tape.
It is basically what it sounds like. A thin strip of copper with adhesive on one side.


I didn't know what it was for, but I hoped I could melt it. I spent today looking it up.

It isn't for melting, in fact.
It is used to wrap around an object, like putting a frame on a piece of glass.
Then you melt the solder onto the copper foil.

I saw a lot of neat ideas online.

Here is a blog with a lot of jewelry making tips:    
http://blog.rings-things.com/2013/04/18/how-to-solder-glass-pendants/

These pictures from this blog above kind of gives an idea of what can be made with it.



Also soldering can be used to make stained glass window type things, but for that they tend to use solder with lead in it.
I can't wait to spend some time at home (in a well ventilated, fireproof place) and try this out.

Comments

  1. Artist friend Linda Bucci teaches jewelry classes, you might want to check out her blog: http://lindabucci.blogspot.com/2016/08/come-play-with-metal-clay.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts