Choir seminar at Christ Cathedral

A few months ago, I auditioned for a church choir that would sing on the major holidays.
I used to be in a church choir more than 10 years ago, but it disbanded.
I haven't really sung since then.
Somehow, this new choir decided to let me join them.

We just started practicing every other Sunday for the Thanksgiving service.
I realized I have a lot of catching up to do.
For instance, I run out of breath when I least expect it.
At our first practice, I got nervous when I had to sing a solo, and made a sound like a deflated bagpipe!

Luckily, the Diocese offered a seminar for choir singers.
It was 3 Wednesdays, and this was the last Wednesday.
It was just what I hoped for, sort of a voice lesson where we learned (or re-learned) the proper tone and shape for singing in the choir (instead of singing along to the radio)

The choir class was held in the Arboretum, the smaller, older building which was restored first and is now being used for church services.
(I don't know when we will be able to go into the big glass building.
They keep pushing back the date when the renovations will be complete.)


Christ Cathedral is an amazing, awe-inspiring place with gardens and architecture.
Even though I was pressed for time these past weeks, whenever I went there, I had to stop and stare.
That's the effect it's supposed to have.
I guess that makes it worth the price they paid.

I remembered to take a few pictures today. Lots of fountains everywhere.
There are also lots of startling, Hollywood-style statues.





Yesterday and today I worked on a drawing in Painter of some flowers growing outside the office.


It didn't really work for me. I blame it on the cropping.


I miss drawing with real paints, at home!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts