Art and Culture in Santa Ana

Today I was invited to do an art demonstration at an event at my church.
I've never done anything like it.

I brought everything I needed to make a collage and paint, as well as everything I needed to show how to make a wire-wrapped bead ring.


The people organizing the event, Danny and Lupita Ramirez, brought some of their own art from home and made a beautiful display.

 
 
There were several groups of folkloric dancers.



The ladies knitting club from the Senior Center across the street, also attended.



I started a collage, but pretty soon everyone was gathered around watching me make rings.
I made these one time in the office, so I anticipated that they would want to try it themselves.
I had plenty of wire and two or three sets of pliers handy.

By the time the show was over, everyone else had packed up and left, and I had a crowd of ladies, children, and even two men making their own rings.


It was a lot of fun, I enjoyed getting feedback from people and also showed people in my community that it's easy and fun to make things.

Comments

  1. Good for you Julie!
    I can just picture you with your crowd!
    So cool! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fantastic.
    I wasn't there to sell anything.
    (I had a few examples of the new unique jewelry things I did this month.) Like first time I've ever!
    I wanted people to try it themselves and they did!
    A few people asked me how much I charged for the jewelry. For lessons! If the pliers were for sale!
    I've never even sold a piece let alone teach.
    A couple people made wonky rings and I let them take home ones I'd made, also I "finished" some because it takes some skill at the end so you don't have pointy ends.
    It was nice to meet other ladies who said "I have all the jewelry making gear but I've never tried this one," and others who showed me Pinterest pages of stuff they wanted to try.
    I never even got around to giving out my blog address.
    Maybe its for the best because I know some of my co-workers have been envious and they don't know about the blog yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts